12.11.2011

Well, Shut-The-Door !

Have you ever done something, working tirelessly, struggling every minute to make something happen just to see it done and ... well ... it's just not as amazing as you expected ?

Well, for me, this is one of those times ...

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm pretty pleased with the way this virgin adventure turned out, but I kind of thought it would excite me more. It's immensely practical, sure, its will keep out some drafts in winter and allow gentle breezes in the summer. That's great stuff.

Add to that that I had no pattern, nor any idea what I was doing the whole time I built it. I was truly winging it on this one. I just knew what I wanted and worked backward ... the forward, HA.

So here are the photos. They pretty much tell the story.  Let me know if I did well.

Finished door in place from the outside. Still need to put in the knob and some locks.

from the inside.


Here's the beginning, well, after about 10 hours of aligning it to be square and glue-up and pegging the corners, no nails or screws used here.

Panel in the bottom of the door so I can put in the mail slot. I added the chamfers to give it a more period look.

The pine is shellacked and varnished. some of the antique metal hardware in place.







cool old "mail" slot. My mail people will not be happy to stoop so low to drop in the mail.

some groovy old screen door hinges, they have springs in them to "shut the door"

3 comments:

  1. You both are doing a wonderful job on your home! It looks like such a special place. Beautiful! It was great meeting you in Diane's shop. Have a very Merry Christmas!
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your kind words. It was wonderful meeting and talking with you that afternoon. Jim & Matthew

      Delete
  2. This is really great structure design to your house. It's just a nice blog post to me. Thanks for sharing this article. However, you can do simple blog design for your next post. Anyway it look's pretty cool.

    ReplyDelete